Monday, October 27, 2008

Beaching it

Hey everyone! Sorry it has taken me a while to find a good internet spot and update you all. My days get so busy, by the time 8pm rolls around I'm ready to pass out. It's amazing how tired you get when travelling. We have been running all around Cambodia for the past few days. We left Siem Reap and headed to Kompong Cham for a day just for quick stop. We stayed at a hotel overlooking the Mekong River. It was so wide... it reminded me of home a little bit (but the water was even dirtier than the Willamette if you can believe it). Then we went up in the hills into the jungle to stay with a cambodian family for the night. It was nice to meet some of the locals, but we didn't have much time there, so I didn't have much of a chance to truly learn about them or their family.

Right now, we are in Sihanoukville. It's a small-ish beach town on the coast of Cambodia. So far it's great! The humidity is down here, but the sun is still shining. We had the chance to lay out on the beach yesterday and do a bit of relaxing. When I got into the water, I was shocked! I am used to the Oregon coast, but the water here is honestly like bath water. Some people were even saying it was too hot (crazy people)! So we just swam around and enjoyed the tropical water. One of our assistant tour guides doesn't know how to swim... he was hilarious! So we were teaching him how to doggy paddle and kick like a frog. He was doing pretty well by the end of our time there. This morning we are leaving to do a bit of island hopping off of the coast. We're going to snorkle in each place. I'm so excited... it's going to be another big day. Then tomorrow we have a free day... I'll be at the beach no doubt.

I'm trying to get this all written in 5 minutes... we are leaving to go snorkling now so I have to cut myself off. I miss you all and think about you every day!

Oh PS- I promise to try and put up pictures soon. I have talked to a couple group members who have tried... and they said it took over an hour just to get about 10 pictures up so I'll wait until I have a pretty good connection.

2 comments:

Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... said...

i'm so jealous already of the awesome tan you're going to have once you get back! i may have to start hitting the booths :).

Christy said...

ah! that sounds incredible case... I love hearing about everything and can't wait to see you!