Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A quick update

We made it into Cambodia, and the trip has officially started! Siem Reap is great, I think it's going to be an amazing place to see... but it was a journey (to say the least) getting here. My group is 16 members plus a guide and 2 guides in training. We packed ourselves onto the tiniest bus of all time, and took a long, sweaty ride into Cambodia together. you wouldn't believe the humidity... it must be 100%! I will sweat through a shirt within a couple hours... not a good track record with only 6 shirts packed!

The ride was bumpy and crazy! There are no lanes, and people will just pass whenever they feel like it, whether or not there is oncoming traffic. I may have a hernia. But it's entertaining! Especially when we get stopped by a herd of cows in the middle of the road.

I don't think they see many blonde people here... because I get stared at everywhere we go! I'm the only blonde person in the group... and the only one from the US, so I stick out to say the least. When I was at immigration to cross the border into cambodia, the officer behind the counter couldn't stop staring. When he took my passport to scan it, a couple extra passport photos fell out... and he said "I need to keep this". I laughed and asked if he truly needed to, and could see it all over his face that he didn't. So I started to laugh even harder and said "no you don't! give it back!"and I snatched it away. Then people will pull out their cameras and take pictures of me with their phones. It's so strange... Now I know what Jennifer Aniston must feel like :) Haha... just kidding!

I had the chance to tour a little bit of Bangkok before leaving today for Cambodia. I went to the grand palace with a couple of girls that I met in the hotel. It was unbelievable! I can't imagine how much time and energy they put into constructing those temples. I'll try and get some pictures up when I have a better connection. I'm excited for tomorrow... We get to visit a Cambodian orphanage, see a floating village, and check out the local market. Then the following day we are visiting the temples at Angkor Wat. This is one of the things I am most excited about!

I'm sorry that I have to cut this so short, but the connection in this cafe is terrible, so I need to make it quick! I promise to try and get some pictures up soon, and I'll update you on the rest of Cambodia. I miss all of you very much! xoxo

2 comments:

culater said...

perhaps you are getting stared at because of the rooster on your head...haha. Have fun!

Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... said...

be careful for creepers my beautiful blonde friend!